~Fashion~Lifestyle~Luxury~Health~Beauty~Wellness~Travel~

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." - Coco Chanel

Thursday 8 September 2011

Luxury and Happiness

The definition and ideas behind luxury in the well-known sense, are for me, misconstrued. I want to share my view of the term, and how I think so many people have it wrong.

To most, the word luxury denotes Louis Vuitton and Gucci handbags and fast cars: it's associated only with labels and money and what money can buy. But to me, luxury is a contentment felt with all 5 senses and the very air we breathe, a simple joy. Some may call this joire de vivre, but I call it luxury. You cannot buy it, although of course having certain items that require money can help.

Luxury is personal, it is not following the masses. It's also not about telling other people about how much money you have and the kind of life you live. It's about making yourself into the person you want to and can be, and only then you can give your best to the world. This could never be confused with the former.

That's why I love fashion: it should make you feel great. Clothes should also feel luxurious on the skin.

Real luxury is also about being in love with your environment: for me that is the sea, tropical flowers, the soft sound of a piano.

Luxury requires fascination and appreciation. If something becomes the norm, and you take it for granted, how then can it be special or luxurious?

I believe you can only experience luxury if you are feel happy in yourself and your body. This is why we all want to and should be at our optimum body weight, and feel good when we eat the right foods and exercise.

Luxury for me then is ultimately happiness. Yes, I love boats, and flying, and being on holiday and drinking champagne. But I can also experience it when I'm simply walking outside, or working towards my goals, or walking in town in a great pair of boots.

Appreciate the simple luxuries and then you will always be living in luxury.


Is this luxury? Comments open...