~Fashion~Lifestyle~Luxury~Health~Beauty~Wellness~Travel~

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." - Coco Chanel

Friday 9 September 2011

Maison Lesage: Makers of Beauty

When I was younger, my friends and I would make bracelets painstakingly from tiny beads. Well, when an American friend of mine with a similar passion for fashion and design sent me information about the House of Lesage, I knew I had to share it here.

Similar to my long love of beads, Maison Lesage has been adorning fabric with sequins and stones for top designers in Paris for 130 years (and for Lagerfeld since 2002 when he bought the studio for Chanel). Items produced by the shop are all custom made, costing hours and hours of sewing time and thousands and thousands of euros...

Jewelled swatch for a Chanel design

Not only a place where haute couture current designs are embroidered into reality, the House of Lesage is also a museum for thousands of swatches of beaded material from its past creations.

My equivalent of a candy store - rows and stacks of different coloured beads arranged on the wall

Oh how I would love to be one of the worker's at this French studio...

Inspiration from Lagerfeld for the designs is said to come from singular words such as "trails" or "Russia" - someone else like me who connects fashion to the environment, beauty and the world we live in.

Fashion under the needle
Can I come and work for Chanel now please?